People I met in my dreams

I have this really dumb dream. I want to be a writer. I even went as far as writing a novel. It's Christian fantasy novel. It has wars, demons, heroes, putzes, damsels in distress, damsels causing distress, people falling in love, people thinking they're falling in love, and the binding theme of redemption. Sadly, it's in a genre nobody publishes and it's written in present tense. In my defense, I started the book when I was seventeen and didn't know that 1) nobody publishes Christian fantasy and 2) nobody writes in the present tense.

Do you know the worst part about having a novel that nobody will publish? It's not that I won't get rich or famous (you don't really get either of those things writing anything Christian). It's that I met all these really cool people that nobody else will get to meet. Nobody will meet Samuel or get to hear about his struggles with self doubt and self hate. Nobody will see Ed fumble over himself trying to win his girl. Nobody will meet any of the friends I made while writing this book because they only exist on pages that are confined, sadly, to my hard drive.

I haven't given up yet. I'm going to shop my friends around, see if I can't convince some editor that people will like getting to know Samuel and his friends and enemies. In the mean time, I'm going to write a new book in a genre people publish and in the past tense (because normal people write in the past tense). Hopefully I'll meet some cool people along the way.

It seems like dreams never go exactly as planned. I'm not entirely sure that's such a bad thing.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like how it says "1 comments" if you only have one comment. but actually now it will say 2 comments so it's not as funny anymore. sonnofa