It’s really weird just how cool that was

A mechanic I work with got promoted this week. She’ll be doing office work elsewhere in the shipyard, which means she gets more pay and gets to stay clean. As it turns out, simply being female has no dirt repelling benefits when you’re turning wrenches. She’s pretty happy about the whole deal.

I bring up this nameless mechanic because today she brought me a plate of cookies. She said that it was for all the time I spent answering questions and generally helping her out with her stuff. She knows, and I know, that I get paid for doing just that. Most of my job consists of being direct support for the mechanics on the shop floor. But she made me cookies anyway. That was possibly one of the coolest things anyone inside the shipyard has done for me.

I get so used to people being selfish, focusing on what they want and what they need and then moving on when they get it, that I forget that people can sometimes be thoughtful and kind. In the vast scheme of things, a plateful of cookies doesn’t amount to much. Not much at all. But it was enough to make my day because it wasn’t just a bunch of cookies thrown on my coffee table. It was her taking the time to say that she appreciated the work I do, appreciated the help.

To the nameless newly promoted mechanic, and to everyone else who’s taken the time recently to let someone near them know that they matter and are appreciated, I have this to say: Thank you.

And, to everyone who reads this blog every once in a while, merry Christmas.

Comments

I just typed a comment that vanished, so I'm gonna try this again. It went something like:

AWWW! How cool is it that you could recognize and sincerely appreciate her efforts!?! She clearly thought it was worth the time to show you her gratitude. And then I said something about warm fuzzies.

Merry Christmas! And thanks for the insightful note you left on my blog! It made perfect sense and also got a laugh out of me! Thank you! It just so happens he IS a small man and those other things you said. I hope to see you around there again. It's always nice to hear from someone who is not also known as mommy. It gives me a fresh perspective.
Alastair said…
That's what i love about people, they can surprise you in small and wonderful ways! I guess that's why we do what we do, and keep loving them!

God bless, Tom, and a happy Christmas!