Another worldly post

A comment was left on my last post that insinuated that my comparing one’s relationship with God to a card game may be the result of me being too worldly. Regardless of whether the comment was in jest or not (and given the written word’s poor ability to communicate sarcasm, I really don’t know if it was in jest), it brings up two good questions.

Question number 1: Why don’t I talk about God without using analogies?

Short answer: Because I can’t. That’s not an admission of the limits of my skills with the written word. I’ll readily admit that the world is full of people who spin language better than I. Instead, that’s me admitting the limits of language in general.

To describe God in plain terms to someone who’s never experienced Him is impossible. Imagine trying to describe a smell to someone who doesn’t have that sense, or a sunset to a blind person. You can’t do it for the simple reason that the person you’re trying to explain it to has no personal frame of reference for what you’re trying to describe. God’s like that. A lot of people don’t have any experience with God. You can only accurately relate God inspired moments to those that have had similar moments. Which is all well and good if you want to preach to the choir, but absolutely useless if you’re trying to talk to someone not wearing a robe and bursting into song. And it’s certainly a waste of your breath if you’re trying to convey something new, or even a new perspective on an old truth. This same limit applies to anything beyond the actual experience of your audience.

That’s why I use analogies. They let me compare facets of God with something that both my reader and I are familiar with. All of a sudden, I can get points across left and right. A whole new world has opened up. Well, it would have been a new world opening up if the Bible weren’t already full of analogies. Kinda makes my whole “need analogies to describe anything spiritual” epiphany more of a rerun than anything else.

Which brings me to my second question.

Question number 2: Is it okay to use analogies that border on distasteful?

There are those that think cards in general are evil, the spawn of Satan, put on this earth solely to corrupt the souls of the unwary. I’ll admit that certain card games are not really beneficial to people. For example, you’ll never catch me playing Go Fish. It’s a well known fact that Go Fish today leads to debauchery tomorrow. So is it okay for me to use a card game analogy, or does it mean I’m doomed to Hell?

To answer that question, I’ll go to the Bible. More specifically, I’ll go to a minor prophet called Hosea. God told Hosea to marry a prostitute. You read that right. The Creator of heaven and earth told His voice to the people to marry a prostitute. Why? God wanted to make a point. His point was simple: His chosen nation was acting like a whore. When they ran after other gods, they were acting like a married woman sleeping around with other men.

The discerning reader will note that prostitution is a sin, and that God Himself used a sinful act to make a point that He felt people needed to hear. Now, I’m not God, nor am I His voice on earth. That said, I am a Christian who likes talking about God. If I have to use an activity that can be deemed sinful in an analogy so that I can make a point, I’ll do it. By using it in an analogy, I’m not endorsing the act itself. God didn’t endorse prostitution when he used poor Hosea as an example. And I’m certainly not endorsing anyone play card games. Who knows what kind of trouble you’d get yourself in if you started down the slippery slope that is Go Fish.

As a side note, please note that I don’t ever once argue the assumption that I’m too worldly. I may very well be. Nobody’s perfect, and I’m certainly not content with my relationship with Christ as it stands (don’t think I’ll ever be). If anyone out there sees a serious theological flaw in this or any other post I make, please feel free to point it out. You’ll be doing me a favor.

Comments

Alastair said…
In the world, but not of it, obviously! It strikes me (to get theological for a mo) that God has shown us just how 'worldly' he can get by sending jesus to be one of us, exactly as we are - yet without sin. My pet theological bias, as you have surmised, i guess.

Besides any language we use about God has to be analogous - no one is daft enough to think that God is really a rock, or a castle, or a mother hen, or a father, or a shepherd are they? We use words, analogies, images, art, music whatever - all inadequate attempts to put infinity within the reach of our tiny, finate minds...

the other comment is - was Jeff joking? He is a) so dry and b) so dry in his humour that i couldn't tell ;-)
Tom said…
The funny thing is, it's not just God and the infinite that we need analogies for. If someone hasn't seen, heard, smelt, or touched something, we're forced to describe a whole bunch of things that it's like before that person has even a vague notion of what we're talking about.

As for Jeff... who knows. It made for a good post though.
Hey Tom! I was just getting caught up on your blog and saw that you had recommended me! AWWW! THANKS! I'll be changing my name soon to just Jennyhaha so that hopefully I won't upset people. :D

Every time I've tried to post on this blog and one other lately, it's shut my computer down for some reason, so I'm sorry I haven't been commenting more. I think I'm learning how to trick it though so that I can sneak a comment in.

I'm soooo sleepy, but I just wanted to say I wish I had just referred a guy to your blog the other day. We were debating God's existence and it's so hard to explain God's love to someone who has never invited Him in. Analogies are the only way to explain it.

I didn't have any analogy except romantic love...just because you can't see it or prove it exists doesn't mean it's not real....very much like not being able to prove that God exists (though to me I see proof every where I turn). I should only try to read your blog in the morning before my mind is fried from a day of dealing with toddlers. :D

Anyway, the point I'm trying so hard to make is that you're doing a good job. Keep it up!
Tom said…
Girl (et al)

Romantic love is actually a pretty good analogy. It points out that just because something can't be quantified, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There are all sorts of memories people have that they can't explain to others because there was something else, something outside the physical world that we have words for, that was going on.

Thanks for the compliment. I'll see if I can continue not to suck. I make no promises.