Writer's block

I'm having a Porky Pig moment. You know, one of those times when you're trying to say something eloquently and just can't do it, so you just spurt out the crude equivalent.

I've been trying for the last few days to write a post about identity. Specifically, I wanted to write about how we can't define ourselves just by our name, but have to add a whole list of what we do and who we know and what political/social/religious group we affiliate ourselves with. I was trying (vainly) to come up with a well written thesis about how the only entity in creation that can simply say, "I am" and have that be enough, is God. As created beings, we're incomplete in and of ourselves, so we steal a little bit of our identity from a hundred different places, cobble it together, and say, "This is who I am."

But, sadly, I can't seem to come up with a decent way to say all that. (The paragraph above isn't really a decent way to say it at all. It's all... clumsy.)

So, in a Porky Pig moment, I'll just post two pictures of me and call that me and be done with the whole debacle.

This one is me in a cowboy hat. I don't actually own a cowboy hat. But someone once said I look like Kenny Chesney, and this is my way of trying to disprove her. You be the judge. Incidently, the person who took this picture said the hat made me look like Billy Bob Thorton.



This one is pretty much how I usually look.



And that, my friends, is my thesis on identity.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Cut me out, eh? I'll cut YOU! MUWAHAHAHAHA!
Tom said…
Huh... I should probably be worried about that, but I'm not.
DAYUM! You're MUCH too cute to be Kenny! Thanks for proving me wrong! :D

Incidentally, you are famous now that I've mentioned you on my blog. Go ahead and celebrate. Unfortunately, the pay is poor.

Still irritated with you for not having an email address connected to your comments so that I can respond to the heeelarious things you say. Does my convenience mean nothing to you!?!
Alastair said…
I often have the inability to say what I mean, and even worse sometimes to mean what I say. What amazes me is that so often people get stuff which I wasn't trying to say but was way better than i was trying to say out of my own humble offerings of sermons, speeches, blog posts etc etc etc

As for identity, I think 'the Who' summed up the postmodern struggle to find ourselves best
'whoooooo are you, ooh ooh, ooh, ooh?'