Acts of Manliness

I climbed the South Sister in Oregon this last weekend with Wolverine, his dad, and a few other people I didn't know until this weekend. We started at the Green Lakes trail head, hiked past Moraine lake, summited, then followed the trail past Green Lakes to the car. We started hiking at six in the morning. We finished about 11:30 at night. Wolverine and I both blame the fact that it took so long on his father, who is a fifty-year-old diabetic. And the sun was in our eyes. Otherwise we totally would have been up and down in a matter of minutes. Below you'll find photographic proof of this epic, up and down in a day, feat of manliness.

To see the pictures full size, just click them. And then, blamm-o, you'll get to see Wolverine's awesomeness that much bigger. You can thank me later.




The trail head. From left to right, the hikers are Wolverine, me, Mark the Sargent, Tom the Corrections Officer, and James the teenager. Wolverine's dad took the picture. The peak is visible in the distance as a reddish, "holy crap that's really far away" blur.




This is the saddle just before heading up Misery Ridge. This is as high up as Wolverine's dad made it. Please note Wolverine's massively defined forearm. Ladies, feel free to gaze wistfully.




The summit. The peak on the left is Middle Sister, the peak on the right is North Sister. I'm the guy on the right. And no, I don't have any idea what I was doing or why I was doing it.




The way we came. The blue line is a rough approximation of the route we took up the mountain. The red bit is Misery Ridge. The blue/white lake is where the picture of Wolverine's forearm was taken. On the way down, we took a left there and down the other side of the ridge.

[Note from the management: In an effort to maintain the level of journalistic veracity on this site, the following information is important to keep in mind when the author claims the manliness of his feats. Among the large number of people who passed him were: an eight year old boy, a middle aged woman carrying a poodle, and an octogenarian. All of them made it up and down in a day as well. They all looked less tired than him too.]

Comments

Anonymous said…
I know that you were doing the more fun then a barrel of monkeys pose up there :) It is also important to note that the lady with the poodle was super hardcore. I could barely haul myself up there let alone a dog as well.
MM said…
Beeeyyyooootyful!!

I love the Northwest. I want to move up there. Sadly, the hubs hates to be cold.
Sindi1968 said…
Maybe a stupid Florida question but.... If these pics were taken in August - why the jackets? Note from management... I have never seen snow in real life..
Tom said…
August, sure, but August + 12,000 feet = cold.