Things change, I suppose

I’m sitting in my parent’s living room in Idaho with my fiancée at my side, and I’m struck by the juxtaposition of that which is familiar with that which is new, constant side by side with change.

It’s Thanksgiving day, and that usually means the house is full of my immediate family (six people in a double wide manufactured home qualifies as full). Not today though. No, today my little sister is in California with her husband, my little brother is eating turkey and stuffing with his girlfriend’s family, and my fiancée (a woman who existed last year but did not exist with that title) is, as I mentioned earlier, sitting at my side.

Things change.

It’s Thanksgiving day, that usually means that the house is full of the sounds and smells of a feast being prepared, my dad has retired to his office to smoke his pipe and write, and the rest of us are lounging around the house staying out of the way and enjoying the fact that we’re inside and not outside (it’s cold out there people, my parents don’t live in Hawaii).* As luck would have it, that much is true.

Things stay the same.

There is nothing innately good or bad about change. It is neither a constant bane nor constant boon. It simply exists. It is. It’s part of this whole getting-up-in-the-morning-and-enjoying-each-day-that-comes-at-you** thing that we call life. Sometimes I like it, and sometimes I don’t. The only constant seems to be that change doesn’t much care what I like.

It’s Thanksgiving day, and whether things are changing or not, we all have something to be thankful for. [I’m about to take an inexplicable spiritual turn. You’ve been warned] A long time ago, the Son of God came down to earth, died, and then rose again. He did all this so that we could be with God even though we don’t deserve to be. Despite any pain you may feel, despite how much change is sweeping away the foundations of your life, that much is constant, that much is good. With that in mind, I’d like to say this to you:

Happy Thanksgiving. May the love of Christ surround you and yours.


*Those who are especially fond of grammar will note that the sentence marked with an asterisk is a run-on sentence. I’m sure that you’ve come to expect better grammar than that from this site, but I offer this run-on sentence to you unapologetically. Why? Because I like it, that’s why. Sometimes grammar has to bend to style. Please send any grammatical complaints to the management so that they can be properly filed.

**This is not a run-on sentence. I’m not actually sure what it is, but I’m fairly certain that it qualifies as a grammatical error. Once again, I am unapologetic.

Comments