Disappointed by a sunny day

I spent the weekend in Kirkland. My wife was going to a workshop Saturday and Sunday, and I figured it would be a good time to get some uninterrupted writing in, to spend some time with just the wife in the evenings, and to get some bike riding in. Then I read the weather report. It was supposed to rain all weekend. So I left the bike at home.

Saturday went as planned. I wrote. My wife workshopped (not a word, using it anyway). Then we spent time together in the evening as adults without kids. We appreciated little things like going to a restaurant without trying to keep the three-year-old in the building and the one-year-old out of our neighbor’s food. We sat down and did not have to immediately stand to chase a child. We did not change a single poopy diaper. In short, we luxuriated in life’s simple pleasures.

Then, on Sunday, tragedy struck. It did not rain. In fact, it turned into a beautiful day. This may not seem like a tragedy to you, but then you are probably not an obsessed cyclist without his bike on a beautiful day surrounded by roads that beg to be ridden and hills that beg to be climbed. So I spent the majority of the morning trying not to mope and failing. I wrote a bit. Used the hotel exercise room a bit. Packed my suitcase. Wasted time on the internet. Then I checked out of the hotel because they don’t let you use the room the whole day if you don’t plan on staying another night.

I drove around aimlessly and in a funk, looking at each road as an un-bike-ridden-by-me affront. I got a sandwich and watched the last quarter of the Browns and Steelers game in which the Browns tried desperately to throw away every advantage. They were successful. Watching the Steelers win did little to improve my mood.

The old seminary at Saint Edwards State Park
Then I drove to Saint Edwards State Park and went to church. Sort of. You see, there are no church services at Saint Edwards State Park. But there is an old seminary that was built in the 1930s. Walking around the old seminary made me feel like I was someplace holy. Like the sum total of prayers that were prayed in that place over the decades had consecrated the grounds, made the very grass and air feel slightly ethereal.

The grotto
There’s this grotto just a hundred yards or so from the seminary building. It’s this little concrete and river stone structure that sits on a bluff overlooking Lake Washington. When you walk by it, stand next to it, and feel the stones, it too feels holy. People worshipped God there. And echoes of those songs and psalms and prayers linger in that place.

There’s a winding path that takes you from the top of the bluff to the beach below. It is wide and smooth and overshadowed by trees with leaves more red and yellow than green. It is cool and dark, like a corridor in a cathedral. It rounds one final bend and spills you out onto the beach. The wind was blowing, the waves were lapping the shore, and the sun was just warm enough to take the sting out of my fingers as a sat on a log and reveled in the beauty of God’s work. It was quiet there, like a sanctuary. There were people sitting and standing and walking, but all quietly. Reverently? Maybe that’s a stretch. I sat and prayed because it felt like to not do so would be disrespectful somehow. Like walking past a good friend on the street and not saying hello or offering a friendly handshake.

But that’s not quite right. Because when I see a good friend on the street, I’m excited. I do not smile and shake hands and hug out of obligation. I do it out of a natural expression of my love. And that’s what I was doing on that beach. I noticed God, being God, doing beautiful things, and my heart soared. How could it not?

An aside on replacing church with hiking/biking/nature watching: I am not a fan of people replacing time in God’s house, in church with God’s children, with time alone in nature. I’ve seen too many good people walk away from God because they forgot the sound of His voice speaking through the words and deeds of other believers. I’m not saying that skipping a service to go on a hike will make you an unrepentant sinner. What I’m saying is that replacing all services with hikes might lead you to become an unrepentant sinner. We should not replace the Creator with admiration for His creation. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t admire work done well. Love the artist and admire the art. 

Comments