On glories of the past

I mentioned that a few weeks back, I did Crossfit with Brent and Mark. What I didn’t tell you about was the conversation we had with the coach before the workout.

The coach was asking us about our high school athletics to see how much weight he would let us lift. Mark rattled off every sport known to man. Brent, Mark, and the coach all nodded sagely at each other as they discussed these sports and ribbed each other as men do. I nodded sagely too, but remained silent.

Post Falls Trojans for the almost-win
Do you know what sport I played in high school? Quiz bowl. That’s right, people. You’re reading the writing of a man whose team placed second at state for quiz bowl my senior year. Do you see these thumbs? No. No you don’t. Because this is the internet. But if you did, you’d see lightning fast thumbs of fury. Thumb, really. You only get one buzzer.

I was not an athlete in high school. I would not use the term “athlete” to define myself now. But I am stronger and fitter now than I was then. How sad it would be if we allowed who we were in high school to define our self-image our entire life. I am not the man I was sixteen years ago (the math took me a minute). I am not the man I was last year. I try very hard to make sure that the statement, “I am not who I was,” is always a positive thing.


As an aside, I feel I need to say that I was not responsible for us going to state. I was a back-rower. We had two certifiable geniuses on our team that carried us. Guys whose intellect made simpler minds like mine pale in the light of their brilliance. I wonder what they’re up to these days.

Oh, also, the people at Crossfit Seven Cities were super cool. The coach was knowledgeable and motivated. If you're into throwing heavy things around, grunting, and sweating, these are your people.

Comments