Weight lifting and self-image


I lift weights at lunch when I’m at work. If you know me personally, this may surprise you because I do not look like a weight lifter. A coworker used to tell me that I looked, “90 pounds, soaking wet.” And that’s fine. I lift weights to be healthy and to make sure I’ll be able to keep up with my kids when they’re older. I do not lift weights to feel or look cool.

The gym I normally lift at does not have mirrors on the walls. Mirrors are common at gyms because they allow you to watch your form and to check out your bulging biceps. Since the majority of my time lifting weights has been without mirrors, I’ve relied on friends for form corrections and had to forgo the aforementioned bicep admiration.

I did not realize how wonderful a lack of mirrors was until I went to a gym that had mirrors. One of the things I love about lifting is the feeling of lifting heavy things. The word “heavy” here is relative. I lift heavy for me, not heavy for Schwarzenegger. The feeling when you lift something that’s right on the edge of your body’s physical limit is pretty awesome. You get this endorphin rush and feel like you’re ten times as large you really are. It becomes impossible to walk like a normal human being. After hitting a PR (personal record), I walk around like I’m King Kong in a world of baby chimps, like I am the alpha lifter.

Franko Columbo: An actual alpha lifter
But back to the mirrors. You see, prior to that fateful day, I did not know how I looked while hitting a PR. I knew what it felt like. I felt like I was riding a raptor while dual wielding lightsabers. Or like I was Superman smashing Zod with a semitruck. Or like I was tapping into the wellspring of geothermal power from the very core of the earth and channeling it through my muscles like some all-mighty-rock-thing. In short, it felt good. But then I saw myself when doing it. 

Have you ever really had to poop and not been able to and tried really hard anyway? Because that’s what I saw when I looked in the mirror. A sweaty, skinny guy with his neck veins bulging, face red from exertion, eyeballs trying to squeeze from my skull, and lifting tiny weights. The look was as opposite the feeling as is physically possible. Imagine feeling like a lion and seeing a tiny kitten in the mirror. But not a cute kitten. A tiny little thing struggling to poop and failing. A poop-failure kitten.

Poop-failure kitten


And now, when I’m struggling for a PR, I get flashes of that moment in that gym with those cursed mirrors, and I struggle not against the weight but against laughing at the absurdity I’m bringing to the world. Life is hard. 

Comments