Bicycles, emergencies, and prayers


Author’s note: I had to rush home for a bit of an emergency yesterday (everything is fine now). This post is not about the emergency, but about the ride home. To reiterate, everything is fine. But I didn’t know that at the time.

 

Hanging up a phone when the person on the other end has that I-don’t-want-you-to-worry-but-I’m-scared tone of voice is stressful. Everything is going to be okay. I tell myself that as I slip on my jacket. Okay. Fine. Good. Not cataclysmic. Not world ending. Fine.

 

I find that my internal voice is using a tone reserved for lying to a child. The condescension makes me angry at myself. My bike’s freewheel clicks and clacks as I wheel it out of my building. The bike feels firm, real. I expected otherwise. I expected dreamlike mist, ethereal nothingness. Like a dream should feel. Because I want this to be a dream. But of course this isn’t a dream.

 

I mount my bike and begin climbing a hill. My internal voice has stopped lying to me. It is now reciting everything that could be wrong. I am good at imagining the worst. It is a skill of mine. My mind wanders the dark corridors of imagination and brings back terrors and horrors like Tiger. I had a cat named Tiger as a child that would bring decapitated birds and leaving them on my doorstep. Gifts, I suppose.

 

I climbed fast, out of the saddle. The bike swayed back and forth under me like the pendulum bar of a metronome. I tried to concentrate on my breathing. In. Out. Out. In. Out. Out. My mind kept bringing me macabre gifts.

 

I crested the hill. I sat hard on my saddle and spun the pedals. The hill flattened and then dropped off the other side. I tried to pray. You’re supposed to pray during emergencies. So I tried. But the prayers got stuck somewhere inside, popped like bubbles hitting the ceiling. I descended the hill, clicking through the gears, legs spinning.

 

Everything is going to be okay. Everything is fine. Dead birds were piling up on my doorstep. Who brings death at a time like this? I hated myself a little, as I flew down that hill. Hated my bent toward the negative. Hated the width and breadth of my imagination. I dropped my knee and flicked my bike through a turn at thirty miles an hour. The bike leaned into the turn, wheels whizzing on the asphalt.

 

More turns, twisting, descending, flying. Eyes scanned the roads, cross roads, and sidewalks. Don’t get hit. Don’t hit someone. Ride fast but safe. The road flattens. Stop sign. Full stop. Foot down. Breathe. Once. Twice. Go. I stood to accelerate from the stop and stayed standing longer than necessary just to move, just to feel like I’m doing something.

 

Up the next hill. Sitting. Spinning. Heart rate climbing. Voices silenced by the rhythm of the road, the steady churning of wheels on tarmac, the chugging of my breath, the pounding of my heart. Just climbing now. Just climbing. No darkness. No headless birds. No false encouragements to bring baseless hope. Just me and movement and gravity and the wind.

 

Over the hill. On the flat. Moving. Just one more block. I stood and sprinted for home. Not to buy myself time, not really. But because gliding home felt like giving up, felt like I’m not doing my part, whatever that is. So I sprinted.

 

Home. The garage door flew up. The bike rolled to a stop. I fell on my knees. I prayed. One sentence. Just one sentence. But it flew like it should. Soared off to wherever prayers go to meet God, to wherever heaven is.

Comments