Getting better at failing


I wrote a novel when I was nineteen years old. I guess that statement isn’t entirely accurate. I started a novel when I was nineteen years old. I finished it when I was in my early twenties. It is long, it is epic, and was made by a teenager. Which is to say that is is not “professional grade.” Which is to say that it’s just really not very good.

But it is complete. It has a start, a middle, and an end. It is over a 140 thousand words long. For reference, “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” is about 78 thousand words long. The process of writing it was long. And it was hard. And if you quantify “success” by getting published, it was an astonishing failure. Hundreds of hours are buried in that manuscript, but time spent does not equal success. That’s the sort of thing that doesn’t make it on motivational posters, but it’s true.

Time spent does not equal success.

But I do not believe that the time spent was without value. You can see progression in style and in character depth as you read through the book. As with anything, spending hundreds of hours on it will make you better at it. But if I were to stop there it would mean that I spent hundreds of hours becoming a slightly better failed novelist. Not exactly the sort of thing that you put on a business card.

Tom Stamey: Slightly better at writing bad, unpublished novels.

I have found that the most valuable lesson that I learned from that novel is that I am good at not quitting. I may become discouraged. I may slow down. I may have inadvertently written a 140,000 word long novel in the present tense because nineteen-year-old me was an idiot. But I finished it.

That same skill allowed me to finish a difficult degree in college. It allowed me to deal with periods of disappointment and separation in my Christian walk. It allowed me to ride my bicycle 204 miles in one day. It is a singularly useful skill. It may be my most useful skill.

There is nothing useful about riding a bike 204 miles.
It is that skill that I am planning on using in the writing of a new novel. I have been, for a year or so, been working on a new novel. A novel that will be better than the last one. A novel that will be written in the past tense (because who writes a novel in the present tense… really). A novel that may get published. But even if it doesn’t, it will be another hard thing that I have done that will help me do hard things that really matter.

Every week or so, I plan on posting a chapter here. And by “here,” I mean to the hyperlink, not to this blog. So please take a look at the other blog. Leave me a comment, hit like on Facebook, and/or share it with your friends if you like it.  


Also, if I go more than a week or two without posting a new chapter, please let me know. Sometimes I need a kick in the pants.

Comments