The space beyond


Six hundred miles, give or take. That’s the there-and-back distance to my parent’s place. I took my family, my son and daughter and wife, back to see the rest of my family. Well, most of the rest of my family.

Six hundred miles of asphalt winding over mountains, through forests, dipping through a canyon, blazing endlessly across a desert before finding a rhythm in hills and forests again. It’s a trip I’ve made dozens of times before. And I thought I knew it. Thought it was familiar. But young eyes make for new journeys.

We found dinosaurs. Concrete cast over a steel frame. Cheap paint baking in the desert sun. But dinosaurs to my kids. They might as well have been alive. Such was the manic glee they brought.

The boy and I hiked up a hill. Fought against the slipping and sliding scree. Caught our hearts in our chests as feet gave way unexpectedly. Summited. Found upon the summit a herd of metallic horses with their reckless plunge over the bluff forever frozen in time. Descended again, the boy wrapped across my chest, feet dancing, looking for solid footing on that flowing river of rock.

My dad gave my son a Tonka truck. Steel, like the old days. Promises were made to play together the next day, the old man and the young boy. A deal written on the paper of his heart. The next day, we came back. The boy carrying his truck, ready to fulfill the requirements of the bargain. Grandpa was asleep on the chair. 

There was a moment there that made me think of the space beyond the freeway, the space where people live as other people fly by. The boy stood with his truck on his shoulder, his burden. And he looked at his grandpa. And he waited.

I wondered what he saw, that boy of mine, as he looked at his father’s father. Did he see a tired old man? Did he see gray and wrinkles? Or did he see promise? The promise of adventure. The hope of promises yet to come. In that moment, he was not a boy waiting with his toy truck. He was the callow youth of fable, waiting for fate to force him into adventure. Waiting for the dragon to awake. The kingdom to be in peril. The world to need him.


There is a space beyond the banks of the freeway where life happens. And there is life and adventure dancing in the smiles of old men’s faces, hidden by old, gray beards. I found that, this week. Maybe I found it again.

Comments