An open letter to candy bar companies



Author’s aside: The last few months have been full of awful things I won’t list here because it would make me sad. The following post is intended to be a brief escape from that sadness.




 

Hello, friends.

It’s me again. I hope you’ve been doing well. The annual candy-gorging festival known as Halloween has passed, and I find myself in an introspective mood. In particular, I find myself drawn to the mystery of the fun sized candy bar.

 

What is it about the size of the candy bar that makes it fun? Is it the small size? Are regular candy bars boring, even business-like in comparison? I imagine handing someone a full sized candy bar at a party and having the person recoil in disgust. “What are you doing, Tom?” the imagined person asks. “Leave work at the office. This is time for fun.” Whereupon they skip away, flinging fun sized candy bars skyward and giggling maniacally.

 

But, if small is fun, is smaller more fun? Are bite sized candy bars really the most fun candy bar? If so, why not label them as such? I feel like you’re underselling the bite sized bars. I suggest, “more-fun size” or “paroxysm of joy size.” Let that sink in for a minute. The idea of people popping open a tiny candy bar with the anticipation of being thrown into fits of joy so powerful that they drop to the floor in joy-induced spasms.

 

It is my hope, dear candy-mongering friends, that you find time in your busy schedule to explain the mysteries of fun size to me. And, if it moves you, to rename “bite size” to “paroxysm of joy” size. 0.5% of your profits would be adequate compensation for the subsequent sales explosion you will experience.

 

With love and confusion,

Tom

Comments