We have time until we don't


I want say that I did enough. At least, that I did my part. I think I can say that. And yet…


Context: I used to be a youth leader at my church. Which is to say that I used to teach junior high and high school kids about Jesus. It’s been a few years. I took a break for a bit and now I teach little kids (K-5th grade) about Jesus.


Context to the context: One of my former youth group kids who was no longer a kid died recently.


This is not a memorial post. I don’t think I could do her justice. I didn’t know her as an adult, and the years between youth and adult are formative and re-formative. We hadn’t spoken for years when I got a text from her asking to talk out of the blue. I replied that it was nice to hear from her and that I’d have time to talk the next day.


We did not talk the next day. Or the day after that. Weeks passed. Another text. And then, a story. She asked for advice on raising a kid. We texted back and forth about the struggles and wonders of parenthood. About the difficulties she faced with the baby-to-be’s father. About how she was in danger before but was safe now. We talked about church and how hard it was to be connected with anyone with COVID. She told me that she found herself closest to God sitting outside with her Bible, listening to church in her headphones. That sounded nice to me.


Months passed. And she texted me a picture of a baby. Tiny, fragile, adorable.


And then, a few weeks later, my former youth group student died.


And I am sad. For her, that she didn’t get to watch her child grow. For her baby, who will never know the mother that bore her. For her family, and the loss that they must feel. But I find hope in her love of God. That she and her baby may be reunited in heaven someday. That she is at rest in paradise.


Topic change: The news of her death made me think about an unrelated conversation (are Facebook comment posts conversations?). In that conversation, I told a different former youth group student that teaching my kids about heaven and hell and about the consequences of sin is loving if heaven and hell are real. That it would be unloving, cruel even, to spare their feelings now in light of the eternal consequences. A lot of parenting is making your kids temporarily sad for their long term benefit. [Aside: Dad, I get it now.]


My other former student brought up extra-Biblical sources to point out that maybe heaven and hell aren’t real. And that other religions believe in other things. And… well, you get the idea. He was polite and well-spoken and well-researched, and I wanted to debate. To bring him to the truth by evidence and logic. But I let it go instead. Facebook is no place for discussions of importance, and I have yet to see someone change their mind by facts alone. We are emotional beings, us humans. And it often takes emotional interaction to help us understand facts.


And, this is the bit that ties the two stories together, I told myself we have time. All the time in the world. Minutes and hours and days and years of time.


Until we don’t.


And because we may not have time, I will tell you what I believe and why as quickly as I can. I believe all humanity has sinned. If you read the news, this should not be a hard sell. I believe that Jesus was a real man. This can be confirmed by historical texts outside the Bible. I believe that Jesus was also God. You’ll have to believe the Bible for this one. I believe the New Testament account of Jesus’s life, death, and resurrection because of the Bible and the actions of the apostles after Jesus’s death as recorded in other historical documents. I believe in Heaven and Hell because Jesus did. And I believe that Jesus’s death and resurrection paid the price for humanity’s sins and allow us to be children of God. All we have to do is believe in Him and confess our sins and ask for forgiveness. And I realize that this paragraph can be incredibly offensive, but sometimes we need to be offended if it helps us see the truth.


I am not responsible for that first former-student’s belief or the second former-student’s lack of belief. They are responsible for their own actions. But it is my hope, my prayer, that I did what I was called to do. That I presented the gospel clearly to them so that they could make good choices.


I want to say that I did enough. And yet…

Comments