Pain, First Aid, and the Cross

Photo by milan degraeve on Unsplash

Sometimes, helping someone means hurting them. That sounds awful, so allow me to explain. I took a first aid class (online training followed by an in-person class) a few months ago. During the class, we learned how to help people with severe bleeding. In order to stop the bleeding, you need to apply a dressing to the wound and then apply pressure.

The online training had a video of a man applying a dressing to a mannequin’s wounded leg. He gently placed the gauze in place, looked at the mannequin, and said, “This may hurt a little.” Then he leaned on the dressing with both hands. I thought that “a little” was an understatement. Having someone put most of their body weight on a bloody gash in my leg sounds excruciating. And yet, that added pain is actually a kindness because the absence of the pain could lead to death.

There is a spiritual parallel here. It is worth causing someone pain if that pain moves them from a hell-bound path to a heaven-bound path. To go slightly farther, it is actually evil and selfish to avoid causing someone pain in that situation.

I realize this may sound like I agree with the angry people yelling hateful words on street corners and typing hateful words on their keyboards in vain attempts to drive sinners from their sins. But I don’t agree with them. The “if” statement above is so very important. Only if that pain serves to, or can be reasonably thought to serve to, move someone in the right direction (toward Christ’s healing) can that pain be justified. I am unaware of anyone whose life has been meaningfully improved by hate. I am unaware of anyone who has been convinced of the loving salvation of Christ by listening to hateful words being spit at them. To go back to my first aid analogy, that would be akin to finding a person bleeding from one leg and then stabbing them in the other leg. It’s bringing pain without the possibility of healing. To be blunt, it is evil.

But pain that brings healing? That’s worth going through. I teach my kids about heaven and hell because I believe heaven and hell are real, and ignoring that fact does no one any good. I have talked to my kids about racism in our country. As white people, that can lead to feelings of shame. But ignoring the painful conversation does not benefit anyone. Evil does not go away when ignored. It thrives. I have a small group of men from my church that I’ve met with every two weeks for years, and we have confessed our sins to each other over the years not to glorify the sins or because that conversation is any fun (it is not), but because honestly admitting our sins to my friends allows me to admit them to myself and to ask God for forgiveness. It is pain that leads to healing.

It is my hope that Christians will find a way to use the pain caused by the offense of the cross to bring healing rather than more wounds. Going back to that first aid class, the first step in any first aid situation would be a good guide:

Check the scene for safety, form an initial impression, obtain consent, and use personal protective equipment (PPE)

I’m not sure what PPE would be in that case, but everything else (especially consent) are good rules to follow before we start trying to help.

Comments