The line between motivation and manipulation

 


Preamble: I want to talk about the line between motivation and manipulation today. I’m going to talk about a specific charity event in this post, and I want to start by saying that I like this charity. They are, by all accounts, a group of people doing good work in the world and doing that work efficiently (meaning: most of the money donated goes directly to the people being served). I include this preamble because I don’t want you to read this post as if I’m being cynical here or in any way dislike this charity.

A night of sparkly dresses and nice suits:

I went to Atlas Free’s Freedom Gala last night. It’s the nicest time I’ve had while listening to speakers and stories that make me want to punch people. That sentence needs some context.  The desired (but not executed) punch thoughts were not for the speakers.

Atlas Free is a charity that is, in their words, “on a mission to put sexual exploitation out of business.” They do that by serving as a middleman to connect funding and labor with local organizations. They don’t put it that way. They say, “…we are building a global movement uniting funders, adventurers, and everyday people with the best local organizations in the world.” That’s the same thing as a middleman. I imagine they don’t say it my way because my way sounds less noble and exciting. There’s a reason I’m not in marketing. Middlemen get a bad rap. They’re important. They exist for a reason. But they don’t make good ad copy.

As you’ve probably already guessed, the Freedom Gala is a fundraising event for Atlas Free. The event includes a cocktail hour followed by dinner with speakers, a live auction, and something I’ll call a give-a-thon. They have a better name for it, but I can’t be bothered to look it up.* Friends, this gala was classy. The women were dressed in elegant dresses. The men were dressed in nice suits.** The event was hosted by Atlas Free employees who were, without exception, incredibly nice and welcoming. They had waiters dressed in black handing out wine. The place settings had the full fancy cutlery setup. You know, where there’s multiple forks and spoons and knives so you don’t have to use your salad fork on your steak like a savage.

The gala dinner opened with a short speech by the operating director followed by another speech by Doris Monasterios. Doris is an indigenous woman from Bolivia who is the national director for Project Suma, an organization that fights sexual exploitation in Bolivia. She shared how the words, “I believe in you” from someone who cared combined with tangible assistance transformed her life. There were a few more people and a few videos showing the horrors of sex trafficking and how Atlas Free works to free people from it.

During one of the pauses between speeches, I was talking to John*** about the gala and how much money something like this makes, and he said they made over a million dollars at last year’s gala. This caused me to do some math. My ticket was a gift, but I knew how much it cost. There were fifty tables of ten chairs in the room. Multiplying the cost of each chair by the number of chairs gave me a number that, in normal context, I would consider big. But it was way less than one million dollars. I told him my mental math. He smiled and told me to wait and see. And then the live auction started.

The line between manipulation and motivation

Ladies and gentlemen, that auction was a wild ride. It began with cake. When they showed a cake on the screen, I naively thought to myself, “Cool. We’re starting small. Maybe I’ll bid on a cake. That’d be fun.” The opening bid was for $1,000. I did not bid on the cake. My friends, there were several cakes. I believe that every cake was sold for a five-figure amount. One cake sold for about $40k.

I turned to John and told him I am in the wrong tax bracket to be in this auction. He said it isn’t about that. Most people in the room can’t afford $40k for a cake. I nodded politely, but I didn’t understand. As the auction continued, I started thinking about the difference between motivation and manipulation. I’m all for motivating people to do a thing they should be doing, but there is something off-putting about manipulation.

Manipulation is using art and cunning (or insidious means) to make someone do something you want them to do. I’d just watched a short documentary about the manipulation techniques used by a televangelist who preyed on the poor by offering the promise of wealth and health and happiness if they’d just give a little more. There is something gross about someone who drives a Bentley asking poor people for money so that the poor people can be made rich through the power of God. That televangelist was using God’s name, but he was using it for his own personal gain and not to further God’s Kingdom or to help God’s people. The televangelist was a manipulation artist, a grifter who took advantage of people.

As I saw the auctioneer working the crowd, it made me think of the televangelist. He was animated. He was passionate. He would not settle for apathy. He worked the crowd like a pro, and auction item after auction item was sold for eye-watering prices. The auction ended and the give-a-thon began. The idea behind the give-a-thon is brilliantly simple. There were different price-points offered for bidding in descending order ($50,000, $10,000, $5,000, $1,000, $500, and $131). He brought up the price point, and people would raise their bid card saying they’d donate that amount. He’d call a price. A few people would bid. And you’d think that would be the end of that price point. It was not. The brilliance here is that the auctioneer was able to work the crowd to give more. Did four people bid? We can’t leave it at four. We need to get to five. Did seven people bid? That’s a weird number. Wouldn’t ten be better? If twenty people bid, he’d ask people to think about how nice it was when they turned twenty-one. At twenty-two, he asked people to step up to be Michael Jordan (who wore number 23 for my non-sports fan readers).

Such was the vibe of the room that a $5,000 donation felt like a completely reasonable thing to make regardless of whether you’re planned on it or not. I mean, do you want to be Michael Jordan or not? Filled with good coffee, wine, food, and dessert, surrounded by motivated people, stirred by moving speeches, it felt like bid numbers were raising themselves. I had to remind myself that $5,000 is a major financial expense for people in my tax bracket and that, no, I should not raise my bid number at that level without having set aside money to do so.

Back to the question: Was this motivation or manipulation? I have decided it was, on the surface, similar to the manipulation of the televangelist but fundamentally different. The televangelist pulled on heart strings and invoked God and promised a better future, but the money only went to him and his team. The team at the Freedom Gala also pull on heart strings and invoke God and promise a better future. But the similarities end there. The future they promise is not for the giver. It is for the receiver. And the money they collect doesn’t go to the CEO, it goes to people in danger and in need so that they can find safety and skills and a future.

Conclusion:

In the end, the Freedom Gala was a great experience that landed on the right side of the line between motivation and manipulation. It motivated people to back up their stated ideals with their actions instead of just manipulating money out of people’s wallets. It ended up raising $1.6 million for Atlas Free (which is a huge chunk of their yearly income).****

I gave what I could afford to give, and in a very small way became part of the work that they do. And that’s what John was trying to tell me. For charities like Atlas Free to work, for them to last, they need people who can drop $40k on a cake, but they also need lots of people who give what they can because they care about people.

I give the Freedom Gala and Atlas Free five out of five stars. Would recommend to a friend.

With love,

-Tom

*Update: I bothered to look it up. They call it the “raise for freedom” because you raise your bid card… for freedom. That said, I can’t be bothered to remove my previous statement that I can’t be bothered.

**I wore my wedding and funeral suit. My dad told me a man always needs at least one suit he can wear to weddings and funerals. Mine came from Kohl’s because that’s how I roll.

***John is the son of my friend who invited me along. John’s wife works for Atlas Free, and John was volunteering at the dinner.

****Per their published financial report, their income was about $7.3 million last year.

Comments